Incorporated Engineer

Becoming an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) demonstrates your level of skills and knowledge within the profession, fast tracks your career and helps you stand out from the crowd.

The first stage in the process to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) is to submit an initial assessment. This can be completed here. CIHT will confirm the options available to you in an initial assessment outcome e-mail. Further information about some of the routes to professional registration can be found below.

For any queries, please contact



What is an Incorporated Engineer?

“Incorporated Engineers maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.”

UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC), 3rd Edition


Why you should become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

  • Enhance your career prospects and earning potential
  • Demonstrate your level of skills and knowledge within the profession
  • Demonstrate your commitment to professional standards and ethical practice
  • Stand out of the crowd with internationally-recognised letters IEng after your name
  • The opportunity to actively get involved with the wider engineering community to develop and shape the industry

Why you should choose CIHT?

  • Assessed by experts in the same sector as yourselves
  • Straightforward and easy to follow process
  • Streamlined approach to fit your busy schedule
  • Mentor guidance available
  • Excellent customer service and support materials for every step of the process


Don’t just take our word for it

I found the application process for the IEng standard route straight forward, any questions I did have were easily resolved by the education department. Although I was nervous about the interview, my mind was put at ease from when I first arrived at the venue, where I was greeted by a senior member of the institute. The panel were very friendly and made me feel comfortable as we discussed my submission.

Ross Anderson, Aberdeenshire Council

If you work within the Highways and Transportation industry, then there is no real reason to choose any other institution than CIHT to prove that you are a competent professional in exactly your field. The whole process of applying and achieving professional qualifications is straight forward and the support material available is second to none.

Lee Holt, Jacobs

I am more than happy to endorse the CIHT as a professional membership body. The process to gain a professional qualification is far simpler and more streamlined than that of other institutions. The institution itself is very progressive and consistently proves that it sticks to its values.

Euan Edelsten, Amey


Take the first step - start your initial assessment today

It only takes five minutes - a simple and concise form ensures that you can start the process without hassle.

Start your initial assessment today

EU Route to UK Professional Registration

If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) who is qualified to practice as an Engineer in your home EU/EEA Member State, then you may apply for CEng, IEng or EngTech registration in the UK under the provisions of EU Directive 2005/36/EC, as amended by EU Directive 2013/55/EC. Further information can be found here


Am I eligible to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)?

Incorporated Engineers are able to demonstrate:

  • The theoretical knowledge to solve problems in developed technologies using well proven analytical techniques
  • Successful application of their knowledge to deliver engineering projects or services using established technologies and methods
  • Responsibility for project and financial planning and management together with some responsibility for leading and developing other professional staff
  • Effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters
  • Commitment to professional engineering values

UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC), 3rd Edition


What are the requirements for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)?

The criteria against which candidates are assessed are set down by the Engineering Council in Competence and Commitment Statements.

Competence A Knowledge and Understanding
  B Application to Practice
  C Technical and Commercial Leadership
  D Interpersonal Skills
Commitment E Personal Commitment


Health and safety, risk assessment, and understanding of the environment and sustainability are important and are embedded within the competences.

CIHT Membership

You do not need to be a CIHT member to complete an initial assessment. However, should you wish to proceed in applying for professional registration, you will need to become a CIHT member at the required membership grade


How do I apply to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)?

The first stage in the process is to submit an initial assessment. This can be completed here.

It only takes five minutes - a simple and concise form ensures that you can start the process without hassle.

You do not need to be a CIHT member to complete an initial assessment and it is completely free of charge.

Start your initial assessment today


What do I need to submit my initial assessment?

Please ensure you include the following documents with your initial assessment:

  • Up to date CV
  • Details related to the qualifications you hold (level, subject, start and end dates) and where you studied
  • Copies of academic certificates

Please note that you will be required to bring the original certificates with you at the later Professional Review interview. If documents are not in English please provide English language translations.


What happens next


Key Dates & Fees


Additional Membership

Additional memberships exist where the registrant has been awarded their title (e.g. CEng) by two separate institutions. The Engineering Council only issues one certificate on initial registration. However, secondary certificates can be purchased via the Engineering Council’s website.

Find out more and apply today


Dual Registration

Holding more than one professional registration at the same time, for example EngTech and IEng or IEng and CEng, is known as dual registration.

Dual registrations exist where a registrant has been awarded more than one of the Engineering Council’s titles and each of these has been awarded by a different institution. The Engineering Council issues dual registrants with a certificate for each title.

Dual registration is therefore only possible for those registered with separate titles, via separate institutions, paying separate registration fees for each title.

For any queries, please contact or call +44 (0)20 7336 1571


Help and Support

For any queries, please contact or call +44 (0)20 7336 1571

Office opening hours are 9.00 to 17.00 GMT.


Resources and Templates